Friday, August 30, 2013

Ryan and Greenlee 08/30/2013


Ryan steps from his car removing his sunglasses and tossing them on the seat. He leans back against the door and looks around at the picturesque little village. It was as if the town had been frozen in time with it’s large Victorian and Colonial houses lining the streets as he drove in, the antiquated storefronts surrounding the square one still boasting “General Store 1769”. He spots the white steeple protruding from the top of the band stand in the center of the village square almost completely hidden by tree foliage. He pushes off the door walking towards it glancing around at the smiling villagers with their children playing beneath the mammoth maple and oak trees that dotted the small park. He walks quickly up the steps of the bandstand leaning his hands against the rails starring out across the lush green lawn trying to spot her among the crowd.

Greenlee: Ryan you came. (He spins quickly at the sound of her voice his heart leaping with joy at the sight of her. He rushes towards her his arms embracing her wrapping her tightly within them enjoying the feel of her beneath his finger the smell of her hair. God how he’d missed that) Oh my God Greenlee! Of course I did! Why would you think I wouldn’t? (He pulls away from her starring down in to her eyes twinkling with happiness her expression at peace. She looked happier than he had ever seen her and he felt happier than he’d felt for a long time)
Greenlee: I though maybe you’d …(Her voice trails) it doesn’t matter.
Ryan: I’ve missed you so much (He leans in to kiss her, her expression looks panicked as she pulls away and steps a few paces from him)
Ryan: What’s wrong? We’re finally together Dynamite Kiddo and The Green Butterfly. (He jokes watching her mind tick and her face brighten as she finds the memory)
Greenlee: Wow, I’d almost forgotten about that it seems so long ago. (She smiles wistfully thinking back to that moment as she stares across the lawn)
Ryan: I haven’t forgotten one second of you and me. (Stepping closer to her she feels the warmth of him behind and steps away from his grasp)
Greenlee: A lot has happened since then. (She steals herself shaking the tendrils of hair from her face. Ryan stares at her a moment searching for the love missing from her eyes making the anger within him rise) 
Ryan: Yeah it has. (He sighs struggling to keep the bitterness from his voice)
Greenlee: There’s a lot I have to tell you why don’t we take a little walk? (She nods her head towards the steps then proceeds down them Ryan in tow heading towards the more secluded banks of the river)
Ryan: This is beautiful. (He glances around at the tall trees shading the well-worn path enjoying the sunlight glistening off the water the sound of the woodpecker tapping out a beat high in the tree)
Greenlee: Isn’t it? (She glances up at him a contented smile playing on her lips as she waves to the fisherman sitting on stools next to the banks their lines drifting in the water as the two talk more than fish)
Ryan: It’s so peaceful.
Greenlee: I love it! Every since the day I arrived here I’ve felt that this is where I belong. (Swinging her arms out allowing the breeze to flow through her fingers)
Ryan: Really? (He looks at her curious watch as she closes her eyes allowing the sun to kiss her face)
Greenlee: I’ve never felt that Ryan (Her eyes open and she stares up at him her voice earnest) not with my grandparents not in Pine Valley…
Ryan: Not with me, is that what you’re saying? (He chokes out unable to keep the bitterness from his voice as Greenlee stares at him her eyes pleading)
Greenlee: It’s just I feel at peace here. (She turns sitting on a large rock next to the edged and patting the one across from her)
Ryan: So what about us? (He dusts the sand from the top then sits leaning back a moment letting the calming breeze wash his face and calm his emotions)
Greenlee: I’m sorry Ryan (She sighs her expression pained her shoulders and tone firm) there isn’t an “us” anymore and there hasn’t been an “us” for a long time.
Ryan: I love you Greenlee. (He huffs leaning forward and reaching for her hands folded in her lap his heart sinking a little as she pulls them away letting them rest palms down against the rock)
Greenlee: I loved you to Ryan but that part of my life is over. I have a new life now. (She stares across the river at her little home tucked behind the trees on the hill)
Ryan: And that new life doesn’t include me.
Greenlee: Remember when you lost your memory? (She blurts turning back towards him her stare unwavering her tone burgeoning on annoyance)
Ryan: Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?
Greenlee: Remember when the only person you could remember was Kendall? (She chuckles bitterly at the memory)
Ryan: Yeah, but I still don’t understand…(She cuts off what he was about to say leaving looking and feeling more confused than before)
Greenlee: The night of the accident When I saw Kendall coming I swerved hit a patch of ice and went flying through the trees I rolled down the embankment toward the river I figured the water would slow me down then I hit a rock or branch I don’t know! It flipped and I was tossed onto a pile of twigs, leaves and debris that was lodged against the rock. I must have been knocked out for a few minutes when I woke up it was dark I had no idea where I was I barely remembered who I was for that matter but I knew I needed help so waded through the water till I got to shore. I didn’t realize I was on the other side. I just started walking when I got to the highway I was cold wet and tired my head was throbbing I remember seeing this huge rock and I leaned up against it a to catch my breath and I prayed to Leo like I always do I opened my eyes a car pulled up and drove me here. (She smiles wistfully at the memory. Ryan stares at her a moment more confused than when she’d started speaking then before, his anger barley in check as his stilted voice grinds out)
Ryan: So you found Paradise and you just abandon me?
Greenlee: That’s not how it happened after he found me I was sick for a really long time I didn’t know where I was, I barely knew who I was and he took care of me. (He glares at her again her expression of sheer love when she spoke of this guy pushing his anger over the edge as he bellows)
Ryan: Okay so let me get this straight you wander to the highway some strange guy picks you up and you decided to live here in fairytale land?
Greenlee: It wasn’t like that! (She shouts back her own anger getting the best of her)
Ryan: Then what was it like Greenlee please explain it to me make me understand why you would let me believe you were dead and just start shacking up with some random guy! What do have some kind of Stockholm syndrome? (He finishes his tirade laughing bitterly)
Greenlee: Unlike you there was no shacking up! (She shoots back enjoying the look of shock on his face) Oh you didn’t think I knew about Liza? I wasn’t dead five minutes before you jumped in bead with her! (She finishes his eye bulging with shock)
Ryan: I was grieving Greenlee because I lost you! (He shouts back) I didn’t know what I was doing, all I wanted was you and all you wanted was some guy you picked up on the side of the highway.
Greenlee: It wasn’t just some guy!
Ryan: Then what was it Greenlee?
Greenlee: It was a lot of things! (She sighs her brow drawn looking nervous)
Ryan: Like what? What aren’t you telling me? Why didn’t you just come home to me? I get it you were sick but what about after that? What about the days weeks months after that? What? Were you too busy spreading your legs for this guy to give me a single thought? (Her anger peaked her voice come out sounding more like the hiss her face contorted with anger)
Greenlee: I’ll tell you why I didn’t come back or tell you I was alive! It was you! You and all the horrible things you were doing to people that were our friends! How could I have come to you then? You would have never understood. Besides he called my father and from that point on my father took care of everything I was in no condition to do anything! (His eye open wide as he shakes his head and laughs)
Ryan: So that’s your excuse? Knowing how much I was hurting you kept it a secret? Oh wait (He says throwing his hands in the air) you didn’t keep it a secret your father did you were too weak to do anything! (He mocks) God Greenlee! I felt as if someone had ripped my heart from my chest! I felt like my life was over! For the second time I’d lost the woman I love. You knew how much Gillian’s death hurt me it almost killed me and you pretended to be dead? What kind of sick game are you playing or was that some kind of punishment for what I did to you, your way of getting even? (His voice pleading as he turns to her the pain in his heart etched across his face quelling some of the anger she’d felt she takes a deep breath then starts agsin)
Greenlee: No Ryan, I wasn’t trying to punish you I would never do that. But, after I found out what my father had done I agreed it was the best solution. You already thought I was dead the connection was already severed. I fully intended to stay dead I was never coming back ever and I never wanted you to find out. (She looks across the river again to gather her strength then turns back toward him)
Ryan: Why? I don’t understand? (He grins that little half grin he always had when he was confused and trying to be patient that now just seemed like it always was placating)
Greenlee: Because I couldn’t let you hurt him not again.(She sighs suddenly tire knowing there was no going back now) 
Ryan: Who the hell is this he?
Greenlee: Leo! He’s alive Ryan he’s here in this town he’s the one that found me.
Ryan: Leo!…(His eyes wide he stutters) He’s alive?
Greenlee: He’s alive Ryan,(She nods her head in confirmation) just like I said and no one would believe me!
Ryan: Oh my God Leo’s alive? (He walks toward the rivers edge then turns back towards her still smiling in disbelief)
Greenlee: Remember when I asked you before about not remembering me or remembering us? (She asks him again a knowing smirk playing on her lips that he knew so well)
Ryan: Yeah? (He leans back on his heels tilting his chin up and smiling)
Greenlee: When Leo found me he’d suffered some brain damage from the fall. Out of all the memories he lost he held on to mine. (Her face lit up with pride and happiness she looks at Ryan her expression wistful pleased and content)  When he opened that car door for me I could see it in his face it was completely lit up and he just looked at me and said  “Wow! You are real I thought you just haunted my dreams!” he put his arms around me. He said my name and it all came back to him. Even before he saw me he remembered our life together I was always there he never forgot me! It was magical Ryan! I felt like I was home and safe for the first time in a long time. That’s when I knew I would never go back to Pine Valley. I was going to call I really was I swear. By the time I did get well and I spoke to my father he told me you were on a tirade hell bent on destroying Zach and Kendall to the point of destroying your own life! I wasn’t going to let you destroy him too. I couldn’t I had to protect him from you from everyone. You would have never understood you would have wanted to punish us and I couldn’t let that happen. I thought everyone already thinks I’m dead what difference did it make the damage was already done. I had to protect my family. (He listens to her story shaking his head in disbelief)
Ryan: Protect your family? (He huffs) What about me Greenlee? What about the fact you knew what I was going through? You never gave a second thought about my pain? Did you. (His anger coming back in full force. She glares at him her eyes dancing with rage)
Greenlee: So you think it would have been better if I had walked in told you I was in love with another man, a man, which I always had been and always would be in love with. (She scoffs) Are you saying that some how under all that pain, under all that desire to want me back with you I could have some how made you understand that I had everything! Everything that I ever wanted! Everything I had ever hoped and dreamed for Ryan but it wasn’t with you? (He stare at him arms folded across her chest her brow raised)
Ryan: You never gave me the chance! (She throws her hands in the air shaking her head her chuckle bitter)
Greenlee: You’re saying you would have let me just walk away? The way you were then you wouldn’t have let me go that easily. You would never have let me just walk out of your life and let me be with Leo.
Ryan: I would have understood! (He pleads)
Greenlee: Come on we both know that would never have happened! You would have tried to destroy us just like you tried to destroy Zach and Kendal, Aidan, Anne, even Liza. I’ll admit it I took the cowards’ way out (She shrugs) but can you blame me?  I didn’t want to hurt you any more than you were already hurting but you would have forced me too. It would have been bitter and ugly and in the end we would end up hating each other and that’s not how I wanted us to end.
Ryan: So you think this was better? (His voce sounding strained)
Greenlee: This, right now (She shakes her head) no it would have been fine if you’d never found out.
Ryan: How can you say that? (He huffs)
Greenlee: Lets face it Ryan you and I, (She says firmly sounding resolute) we started as a business arrangement neither one of us loved each other the way I love Leo or you loved Gillian we learned to love each other. (She pleads) I’m not saying I regret anything that happened between us I did love you but you shouldn’t have to learn to love someone. Now that I’ve found Leo again I realized eventually it would never have been enough and we would have spent our lives convincing ourselves it was.
Ryan: How could you say that? You and I grew to be so much more than some business. (He places his hands on her shoulders starring into her eyes seeing nothing of the love that used to shine there his heart sinking as the last vestige of his defense falls apart)  
Greenlee: You know in your heart I’m right your pride won’t let you say it and you know if I had come to you then and said these things to you, your pride would have never accepted it. You and I both know that. Look at everything that happened after that night and be honest with your self please. (Ryan hears the pleading in her voice then thinks about everything he’d done after she’d “died” she was right he would have never just let her walk away he would have tried to destroy them he realized that now)
Ryan: I’m really sorry, for everything really I am… I was just so lost for so long with out you. I just…(His voice faded off he swallows hard and then smiles his excuse sounding weak to his own ear even before he said it. She didn’t owe him any apology. If he’d been her place and it was Gillian he’d done the same thing if not more) I’m glad you and Leo found each other and you’re happy.
Greenlee: You don’t have to be sorry if anyone should apologize it should be me. I’m sorry if what I did hurt you. I really am. (Her earnest expression leaving him no option but to accept what she was saying)
Ryan: It’s okay I understand… honestly I do. (He says as they begin to walk again stopping to pick up a few pebbles and throwing them into the rushing water)
Greenlee: I hope you and I can some day be friends. (She says coming beside him as the two begin their walk back to his car) 
Ryan: I’d like that someday. Maybe next time I come I can see Leo maybe catch up?
Greenlee: That would be nice we could have lunch at the Inn. I’d introduce you but Leo took Simone for her check up this morning. (She smiles proudly)
Ryan: Who’s Simone? (He stops his pace a moment looking down at her reaching in to he pocket and pulling out a small photo and handing it to him)
Greenlee: She’s our daughter our little miracle!
Ryan: Oh my God Greenlee! (He smiles up at her his eyes wide with surprise) Wow! Congratulations! (He glances at it again then hands it back to her)
Greenlee: Thank you. (She glances at the photo smiling lovingly then places it back in her pocket) You should see her! Leo says she looks like me but I don’t know.
Ryan: She’s beautiful.
Greenlee: She’s the most beautiful little girl in the world. (She says firmly leaving no room for doubt)
Ryan: You named her Simone, after Simone Torres. (She nods her head smiling proudly) And you thought it might be better if they weren’t around just in case right? (He slows his pace as the two arrive back at his car)
Greenlee: Something like that. (She turns her head letting the breeze pull the hair away from her face)
Ryan: How old is she? (He reaches in to the car pulling his sunglasses from the seat then opens the door)
Greenlee: She’ll be two next spring we’re going to have a big party for her but we were re decorating the dinning room (She point to a large Victorian looking building hidden behind large trees and blooming flower beds) we just bought the Inn over there at the end of the square.
Ryan: It’s beautiful.
Greenlee: I love it! (She turns back towards looking happier than he’d ever seen her and proud)
Ryan: I’m glad you’re happy. (He says opening the car door and sliding into the seat)
Greenlee: Thank you. I hope someday you’ll be just as happy as I am. (She closes the car door then leans on it edge)
Ryan: I’d better get back to Pine Valley I have a meeting with Devereaux this afternoon. (He starts the engine)
Greenlee: I read you were back at Cambius.
Ryan: Yeah, where else? (He grins placing the sunglasses on his face then adjusting them)
Greenlee: If you don’t mind a little advice. (Her tone serious)
Ryan: It never stopped you before. (He smiles u her making her laugh)
Greenlee: Be careful Ryan that guy Devereaux is a predator.
Ryan: Still looking out for me. (He shift the car in gear as Greenlee takes a step back) 
Greenlee: Always. (She smiles back at him feeling the weight finally lifted)
Ryan: You take care of yourself.
Greenlee: I will. Oh and Ryan I got you something. Leo made it. (She says pointing to the small box on the seat next to him)
Ryan: Thanks (He looks down at the small prettily wrapped box on the seat next to him then smiles up at her feeling a tinge of sadness about what never was) Bye Greenlee. (He smiles sadly then shifts the car into gear pulling away from the curb, Greenlee stares after him till his cars disappears around the bend)
Greenlee: Bye Ryan. (She sighs then turns and walks towards the Inn lifting her head and smiling broadly at the sound of her name. She waves as she half runs towards her husband and child)

No comments:

Post a Comment