Monday, June 17, 2013

Kendall and Greenlee 06/17/2013

Kendall and Greenlee.
 
Kendall sits on the bed in her bedroom chatting happily on the phone with Greenlee dangling her feet off the edge of the bed painting her toenails.
 
Kendall: So how’s that sweet girl?
Greenlee: She’s perfect! She’s growing so fast! Last weekend Leo took her fishing with him!
Kendall: Fishing? (Stopping mid stroke and laughing) How’d she like it?                         
Greenlee: She loved it! (She squeals making them both laugh)
Kendall: Oh my God! That is too funny!
Greenlee: Yeah can you believe it a daughter of mine liking something as disgusting and dirty as fishing! (She contorts her face looking as if she’d smelled a skunk)
Kendall: She adventurous like her mother. (She screws the cap back on the polish then blows down on her nails)
Greenlee: So what’s going on Great Aunt Kendall? (She walks out on to the porch and sits on the Adirondack chair propping her feet up on the little foot stool)
Kendall: So you heard!
Greenlee: How could I miss it? It was all over the news! Are she and the baby okay?
Kendall: She’s fine and the baby is beautiful!
Greenlee: So did you get your hair die to cover that grey and tune up your rocking chair?
Kendall: Shut up! (She laughs)
Greenlee:  Tell Francessca I said congratulation.
Kendall: I would if I could. (She half jokes figuring now would be as good a time as any to broach the topic)
Greenlee: Yeah. (She sighs sadness edging her voice)
Kendall: I don’t know how to say this so I’m just going to tell you (She takes a swift intake of air squares her shoulders before she continues) Ryan more than suspects that you’re alive.
Greenlee: What do you mean more than suspects? (She bolts upright in her chair her voice sounding shrill through the receiver)
Kendall: Well he was practically grilling my mother and me at lunch today.
Greenlee: Ugh! (She groans) Erica! I should have known!
Kendall: Don’t blame her! (She chimes in defensively) He’s been suspecting for a while!
Greenlee: That’s because no one can keep her mouth shut! (She grinds out between clenched teeth trying to control her annoyance from boiling over)
Kendall: Don’t blame all of us! (She charges back her anger getting the better of her)
Greenlee: What do you mean “all of us”? Who else is he questioning? (Her annoyance turning to anger. Kendall sighs again her mind going back to a frantic Lily earlier)
Kendall: Lily came by earlier very upset that she had let it slip too.
Greenlee: So now he’s badgering my sister? That’s just great! (She stands pacing the porch)
Kendall: He’s questioning everything and everyone he can think of!
Greenlee: I still can figure out how the hell he found out.
Kendall: Come on how long did you think you were going to keep this a secret? You know Ryan! Did you think for one second that you were going to make this work forever? (She shoots back pushing some of the blame back squarely on her shoulders)
Greenlee: Yes! (She shouts into the receiver) I expected you to be able to keep a secret! (She rolls her eyes throwing her had to the sky letting it slap to her slide) What the hell am I talking about? You could never keep a secret.
Kendall: Look it was bound to come out at some point. You run an Inn! Someone was bound to recognize you.
Greenlee: So how did he find out?
Kendall: I don’t know. (Greenlee smirks nodding her head as she pieces together what happened)
Greenlee: I have a good idea you were talking to Ryan he got you angry and flustered and you blabbed!
Kendall: That’s not what happened at all we… (She screeches back)
Greenlee: Yes it is! (She shouts cutting Kendall off mid sentence) that’s what always happens! (Bitterness edging her laugh. Kendall closes her eyes and counts to ten trying desperately to maintain some composure)
Kendall: Look Greenlee it’s not fair for the rest of us to have to keep your secret! I think it’s time you faced Ryan and let him know exactly what’s going on and how you feel! Because honestly its not fair to him either.
Greenlee I know you’re right I just…(She plops down on the porch rail sounding as exhausted as she felt)
Kendall: Don’t want to hurt him? Well Earth to Greenlee he’s already hurting!
Greenlee: Yeah. (She sighs looking up at the star spattered sky and saying a small prayer)
Kendall: So what are you going to do about it? (Kendall’s voice bring her back to he moment at hand)
Greenlee: I guess I don’t have a choice do I? (She sighs knowing that she had just run out of time)
Kendall: No you don’t and to be honest I really can’t do this any more it’s getting way too hard. (She whines)
Greenlee: Okay! Okay! (She relents Kendall sighs in relief) I’ll talk to him.
Kendall: What are you going to say? (She asks tentatively)
Greenlee: I’m going to tell him the truth. (Her voice low and thoughtful)
Kendall: What do you think he’ll do?
Greenlee: There’s nothing he can do (She shrugs her mind resolute) my life is here and I’m never coming back to him or Pine Valley.
Kendall: I know, I just hope he can handle it.
Greenlee: He doesn’t have a choice. (Her voice terse with finality. Kendall sighs again knowing it was going to be anything but easy or final)

No comments:

Post a Comment