Monday, March 17, 2014

David 03/17/2014

David sits at his desk typing into the computer scowling at the mornings data. It still wasn't enough they needed to push harder if they were going to be able to present their findings and get more funding. At this pace they would never make the deadline. They needed to step up he pace and fast if he could just get Michael to agree but that was like talking with a wall. His slow and steady philosophy was slowing them down and his suggestion of asking for an extension was absolutely ridiculous. These weren't the kind of men that granted "extensions". He was so afraid of rushing even the smallest step and wouldn't give him the copper study for his presentation because it wouldn't be a full six months  He needed to come to a decision quickly before the meeting he needed to have something promising to show them but so far all they had were hopes for tomorrow and the file he needed no where in sight.

Jeanine: Hey Dr. Hayward! (She waves happily walking towards her desk)
David: Jeanine what are you doing here? (He turns in his chair to face her) I thought I gave you the the rest of the day off?
Jeanine: I left my laptop here this morning I wanted to grab it.(Tosses over her shoulder as she kneels down to unplug her adapter, stands then wraps up the cord)
David: You're supposed to be having fun not working.
Jeanine: I can promise you I'm not working! (She laughs placing the computer inside her backpack) There's a couple of movies on here I thought Pete and I could watch on the plane.
David: Oh yeah where are you two off to?
Jeanine: He's taking me up to Aspen for the weekend!
David: Wow, good for you (He nods in approval) I can't think of anyone more deserving 
Jeanine: Thanks Dr. Hayward. What are you doing here? I thought you had that awards thing?
David: I do I was just looking at some data.
Jeanine: Oh, how was it? (She walks over to his desk looking at the computer screen)
David: Slower than I'd like. (He turns back to the screen pointing at the bars on the graph)
Jeanine: You know Dr. Slater slow and steady wins the race.
David: Yeah, I know and he's right most times but...( He grimaces shaking his head)
Jeanine: Yeah, he's funny that way. ( She nods in agreement then chuckles) The other day I suggested increasing the copper content and he said that he wanted to wait because the copper could give you the the needed results now but he was still waiting for the results of his with the long term study about the formula breaking down after a period of time as the copper begins to oxidize. (That's what he needed he just needed her to lead him to it)
David: I wanted to compare them with the results we got today.
Jeanine: Lets see if Dr.Slater forgot to log out. (She reaches for the keyboard types a second then reaches for the mouse) Yep he did! (She closes the window then access the second drive and pulls up the file) Dr. Slater keeps those on his computer I think he updated the file Monday.
David: Thanks Jeanine.(He stares in wonderment at the screen this is what he needed no matter what Michael thought) I'm glad you stopped by.
Jeanine: You're welcome (She smiles walks back to her desk and picks up her backpack places her charger inside and zips it. While David stares at the data formulating a plan to use it) I have to get going.
David: Okay! ( He rises from the chair and walks towards her) Hey how long has it been since you took a day off?
Jeanine: I don't remember. (She laughs)
David:  I don't think any of us have been out of this lab in weeks! I think you should take a few days spend some time with Petey or doing whatever you want I insist.
Jeanine: Oh, (Her eyes wide with surprise then her brow draws into a frown) I can't we have the meeting and I'm still calculating the...(David smiles his most charming smile)
David: Don't worry about it I'll take care of it and when you come back you'll be looking at it with fresh eyes.
Jeanine: Are you serious? (Her eyes open wide with excitement) Really?
David: Of course ( He smiles reassuringly) we'll be fine you and Petey just go and enjoy yourself I'll see you next week! Think of it as a mini spring break for a job well done.
Jeanine: Wow! Thank you so much Dr. Hayward! I can't wait to tell Pete! I'll see you next week!
David: No, thank you for all your hard work. It's just my way of showing my appreciation.
Jeanine: Thank you Dr. Hayward! (She slips her backpack over her shoulder and backs out the door)  I'll work twice as hard when I get back!
David: You can count on it.
Jeanine: Thank you Dr. Hayward bye! (Turning and opening the door)
David: Bye have a good time!
Jeanine: Bye! (She closes the door and skips down the stairs)
David goes to the computer and examines Michael's finding comparing them to what they had then does a mock sequence smiling as the results came in. This was was very promising but, Michael was right they were a long way off and it may not hold up with investors. They wanted results now but, he could use this what he had right here to plead their case at the results would eventually be the same. He'd just need to keep Michael away from the meeting and with Jeanine out of the way it wouldn't be hard.
Krystal: Hey! Are you coming or are you going to stay in this lab all night again?
David: Sorry I'm coming.
Krystal: Is this your new formula?
David: Yep.
Krystal: How's it going?
David: Better all the time. (He clicks the mouse copying the file sending a copy to his computer)
Krystal: What's that? (She leans warping her arms around his neck and kissing him behind the ear)
David: Just one of the last pieces of the puzzle. (He smiles snuggling against her arm as he closes the file
Krystal: Oh good. (She stands reaching over and turning off the desk lamp)
David: Come on we better get going. (He shuts down the computer slides out of his chair and stands. He takes Krystal's hand in his and leads her out of the lab feeling more relaxed then he'd felt in days. He had what he needed to keep the project going the rest would fall into place)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment