Tuesday, August 7, 2012




Cassandra and Rego     06/07/22012


Cassandra moves about her apartment pulling things fro the shelf wrapping them in bubble wrap and placing them in the box on the coffee table the thought of having to do so weighing heavily on her mind. But what was she going to do? This was easier than facing his wrath. Any plans she could have made with Rego were out! She’d found the program he’d loaded into her phone and she’d spent hours when she came home this morning looking for camera’s around her apartment he was watching her every call and would be watching her every move. After tomorrow there would be no escaping him she’d be under his control day and night the nights being the worst part she thought as a cold shiver ripped through her. How could a man she had had once yearned for and a moment between them that had been so beautiful become so vile and putrid that the very thought of having to lie with him made bile rise in her throat? She placed the vase her father had given her in the box just as the doorbell rings.
Cassandra: Just a moment! (She calls out dusting off her hands and walking to the door she reaches for the knob and swings it open expecting to see Devereaux standing physically checking up on her instead of calling her for the ump-tenth time instead coming face to face with Rego)
Cassandra: What are you doing here?
Rego: I called you last night and left you three messages and you never called me back. (He says rushing in to her apartment Cassandra checks the hall quickly then shuts and locks the door)
Cassandra: I was busy and I assume you found Francessca and it worked out exactly like I told you it would! Poor baby need a shoulder to cry on?
Rego: She married him! (He says with a wave of his then rests it against his temple as Cassandra stares at him a moment mouth agape)
Cassandra: She and Jamie are married?
Rego: Jamie just loved rubbing it in my face! “That’s right my wife” (He mocks) with that smug obnoxious smirk on his face! I would have punched him right in it if wasn’t surrounded by angry mobsters!
Cassandra: So what am I supposed to feel sorry for you? (She shrugs then chuckles) I don’t know why you even went there? I told you she wasn’t going to take you back!
Rego: I know it was stupid! (He sighs)
Cassandra: So what are you going to now? (She pulls a photo from the shelf and wraps paper around it before placing it in the box) Go back to hiding in your room and drinking?
Rego: I don’t know move on I guess (He shrugs) I’ll figure it out. I could use some fun what do you say you stop what ever it is you’re doing and go out on the town? What are you doing? (Looking around finally noticing the boxes)
Cassandra: I’m just packing up some stuff up. (She reaches for the tape folds the flaps then tapes it shut)
Rego: Are you moving? (He looks around the rest of the apartment while Cassandra sets an empty box on the coffee table)
Cassandra: In a way. (She reaches up on the shelf pulling down a small “Best little sister” award Frankie had given her and smiles to her self)
Rego: What do you mean “in a way”?
Cassandra: I’m moving out of here and moving in to the new “ The Cambius Luxury Condominiums”. (She smiles brightly her voice taking a song like quality)
Rego: I’d heard Colby’s company got the Norwegian deal but I didn’t think the pay off was that big. (He looks at her pleasantly surprised)
Cassandra: Not exactly. (She says with a laugh in her voice enjoying his confusion)
Rego: Then what exactly is it? (He grins looking confused)
Cassandra: Remember that guy I told you about (She says handing him the wrapped statue and he places it in the box) the one I was dating before I left France?
Rego: Yeah?
Cassandra: Well he’s here in Pine Valley and he’s asked me to move in with him. (Her voice sounding more excited than she felt)
Rego: And just like that you’re moving in with him? (He looks at her in disbelief sounding slightly insulted)
Cassandra: Why not (She stops her work to stand with her hands on her hips starring at him) you went chasing after Francessca and I’m not the kind of girl to sit around waiting. So he came back in to town and asked me to move in and I said yes.
Rego: Wow! (He says with a shake of his head still in disbelief his laughter tinged with bitterness) When you move on you just go.
Cassandra: What the point of prolonging the inevitable? (She pulls another item from the shelf and wraps laughing inwardly at Rego’s reaction)
Rego: So that’s it then? That’s all she wrote for you and me? (He flops down on the couch propping his feet on the table arms folded across his chest)
Cassandra: Face it Rego there was never a “you and me”. (She says pursing her lips and rolling hr eyes)
Rego: Well if it makes you happy then I’m happy for you. (He stands walking towards her grinning sheepishly)
Cassandra: Do you mean that? (She stops and looks at him her eyes searching his)
Rego: Of course I do I would like to think that you and I were more than just…
Cassandra: A booty call? (She says with a laugh, as Rego gazes at her a flicker of remorse cross them his tone deepening)
Rego: You mean a lot more to me than just a “booty call”. (He runs a finger down the curve of her jaw wishing for a moment things had been different. Cassandra watches the emotions cross his face and smiles inwardly satisfied that she finally had him where she wanted him even if he didn’t know it quiet yet. She brushes her lips gently against his then backs away feigning embarrassment) So what do say you and I have dinner tonight as friends? (He throws his hands up in mock defense breaking the tension by making her laugh)
Cassandra: I don’t know I should really…
Rego: Come on (He says shaking her playfully by the shoulders making her laugh harder) for old time sake we’ll go out have some fun and I promise I’ll keep it all platonic.
Cassandra: Okay I guess I can. (She agrees wondering how she was going to pull it off with Devereaux watching her every move but if she was ever going to get away from him she had to take this chance especially now that Rego was where she wanted him)
Rego: Okay I’ll give you a call around eight? (He grins moving towards the door as he talks)
Cassandra: No I’ll meet you at that little bar over on seventh and we’ll go from there.
Rego: Okay I’ll see you then.
Cassandra: Okay see you later. (He closes the door behind him and the smile drops from her face as she sits down on the sofa hoping she would be able to pull this off without getting them both killed)

No comments:

Post a Comment