Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Erica, Ryan and Devereaux    03/06/2012


Ryan and Erica stare and Devereaux neither able to speak for a moment. Devereaux mentally checks his list knowing he would have very little to do to convince Ryan to come back to Cambius.

Devereaux: I see I’ve shocked you. (He says sitting back in the chair his lands resting on his knees)
Ryan: I have a question, why me?
Devereaux:  For the one the recent publicity pertaining to your heroics at the prison for some have given a boost to Cambius stock. The public and Stockholders love a hero.
Ryan: Well you get right to the point.
Devereaux: I’m sorry my bluntness does have a tendency to be brutal but you’ll have to excuse me I’m a very busy man I rarely have time for games so I’ll get to the point. Regardless of what the Stockholders think I’m I see the potential in you and I working together. I’m not interested in the temporary boost Cambius has received I’m thinking of the long-term survival of Cambius. I’ve gone over the files from your time as CEO of and I have to say you did some very profitable transaction although, there’s a couple of things I would have done differently but all and all it’s an impressive body of work.
Ryan: Thank you very much. (He smiles feeling a monetary awkward modesty)
Devereaux: During the last two years Cambius stocks have dropped no, plummeted would be more accurate. I think having you back at Cambius together we can set the company back on the right path.
Ryan: I’m glad you have such faith in me but what does the board have to say about having me back?
Devereaux: The Board supports me in all matters Cambius.
Ryan: Is that so? (His one brow raised his eyes wide)
Devereaux: I understand your trepidation completely but I assure you this is a legitimate business offer. (He hands Ryan his card he reads it quickly then hands it to Erica) Sorry I haven’t had the opportunity to have my new ones made up.
Erica: Oh, I don’t know why I didn’t recognize your name before Ryan do you know who this is, this Gaston Devereaux St. Jacque of GDJ. International. (She gushes flipping her head from one to the other smiling brightly)
Ryan: Ahh, (His eye’s going up and to the right as he thinks back) I remember you now, you out bid Cambius on that RynCon deal.
Devereaux: Yes, Cambius was smart to want it we made eight times our initial investment in the first year alone. If I recall from what I read if the board of Cambius had listened to your proposal that quarter instead of taking the safe option, they would have enjoyed quite a return on their investment instead of spending the next six month trying to bail out that Glenco albatross. (His voice even betraying nothing of his inner thoughts) That’s the kind of long rang thinking I’m going to need and I think you’re just the man I am looking for.
Ryan: I…ahh…I’m. (He starts and stops looking to Erica for guidance her eyes alight with excitement)
Devereaux: Why don’t you take the evening to think about it? Give me a call at Cambius in the morning with your decision? Ms. Kane it was lovely to meet you.
Erica: The pleasure was all mine I hope we’ll be seeing more of you.
Devereaux: I’m sure of it (He says leaning forward and kissing her hand) Ryan, I hope I’ll hear from you tomorrow. Good night. (He nods to the two of them then heads out the door and down the hall. Ryan and Erica look at each other soaking in what just happened before Erica speaks.
Erica: That was absolutely incredible!
Ryan: Almost too good to be true.
Erica: What are you saying? You’re not going to take the job?
Ryan: Not before I do some homework.  (He looks down at the card again then back to Erica)  
Erica: You don’t think it’s a legitimate offer?
Ryan: I think the offer is legitimate I just want to make sure the man offering it is too. (Scene Shift: Devereaux walks out the doors of the hospital to the waiting limousine the door closing firmly behind him) 
Driver: Where to now?
Devereaux: Where is my little friend now.
Driver: She gone to some place called “Confusion”
Devereaux: What’s “Confusion”
Driver: It’s a local bar slash eatery it’s owned by one Kendall Slater wife of Zach Slater. (Devereaux sits back in the seat absorbing the new information)
Devereaux: Interesting. (Picking up the file marked “Slater” lying on top of the pile on the seat next to him and skims through it)
Driver: Do you want me to take you there?
Devereaux: No, just tell our man to keep up with the surveillance and take me back to the hotel. (He smiles knowingly placing the folder back on the pile. He rests his head against the cushions and closes his eyes) She can read about me in the morning paper with the rest of Pine Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment