Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Frankie & Randi     01/16/2011


Randi lies in bed dozing as Frankie sits in a chair reading a magazine peeping up at her every few minutes watching her respiration.

Randi: Hey baby. How long have you been sitting there?
Frankie: Hey honey, how are you feeling?
Randi: I’m okay tired and I have a headache.
Frankie: Do you want me to get the doctor for you?
Randi: No, I’m okay Ooooo! Honey CRAMP! Cramp!
Frankie: Where?
Randi: Oh my God! Oh my God! (She moans leaning down and grasping her calf)  Message my calf please!
Frankie: Sure baby. (He begins to message her calf) How’s that? He looks up at her and smiles)
Randi: Much better thank you. Man, is it hot in here? (Pulling of her robe and fanning herself with her hand)
Frankie: No, I’m comfortable let me see. (He places his hand on her forehead then pulls it a way) You feel warm. How long have you been feeling like this? (His voice filled with concern)
Randi: On and off for a couple of days. (She sighs resting head against the pillows)
Frankie: A couple of days?
Randi: It’s no big deal Frankie.
Frankie; It’s a very big deal Randi! Any change in your condition right now is a big deal. (He walks toward the window shaking his head and rubbing the back of his neck his worse fear begins to roll through his thoughts. They both turn their heads as doctor Colgate comes through)
Lola: Hi Randi, Frankie.
Randi: Hi Dr. Colgate.
Lola: How are you feeling? (She asks as she flips through Randi’s chart)
Frankie: Her muscles are cramping and she’s running a fever! (He looks at Lola his eyes pleading)
Randi: Come on Frankie, I’ve been running a fever on and off since I got here. Dr. Colgate tell him not to worry so much.
Lola: I wish I could Randi but Frankie has every reason to be worried (She looks from Randi to Frankie) I just got the results from your last tests.
Randi: So, what does it say?
Dr. Colgate: We found a mass on your right side it.
Randi: How bad is it? (She reaches up grasping for Frankie’s hand her eyes wide with fear)

Dr. Colgate: The tumor is large.
Frankie: How big? (He places his other hand over hers trying to quell it’s shaking)
Dr. Colgate: When I told you the other day it was about eight centimeters it’s grown to approximately twelve centimeters.
Randi: I don’t understand? How big is that?
Frankie: It was about six inches.
Dr. Colgate: Your white blood count is up and your red blood cell count is low as well as your blood protein levels.
Randi: So what does that all mean?
Dr. Colgate: I’ve conferred with Dr. Holmes and we both agree we can’t wait on your treatment any longer. I want to start your chemotherapy tomorrow.
Randi: Tomorrow? What about retrieving my eggs? (Her voice shaky and hesitant)
Frankie: Baby, we can’t wait any longer. (He pleads)
Randi: Can’t we wait just a couple of more days please? (She looks form Frankie to Lola)
Dr. Colgate: I’m sorry Randi we can’t. Right now your cancer is still above the diaphragm the longer we wait the more chance there is for the cancer to spread below it making it harder to treat. I’m truly sorry. (She looks at them sympathetically then leaves the room)
Randi: I can’t believe this Frankie! (Her voice low her eyes welling with tears)
Frankie: Baby it’s going to be okay (He sits on the bed wrapping his arm around)
Randi: All the plans we made for our future are gone. (She chokes out her tears streaming down her cheeks)
Frankie: They’re not gone they’ve just changed.
Randi: We always talked about having a big family now that’s never going to happen.
Frankie: It’ could still happen.
Randi: How Frankie the chemo going to kill any chance of that ever happening Frankie. (Her voice thick with anger and disappointment)
Frankie: We don’t know that we could still have every thing we wanted.
Randi: What happens if it doesn’t Frankie? (She begins to cry again nestling her head into the crook of his arm)
Frankie: I love you Randi (He says gently kissing the top of her head) and the thought of my life without you in it scares the hell out of me. If I have to choose between you and my future children I choose you. So whatever the future bring as long as I have you and our kids I’ll be happy. (He closes his arms around her holding her close as she weeps)

No comments:

Post a Comment